So, I saw this pattern and thought, hey its on sale for 99 cents and it looks pretty simple. WRONG. It was not simple (though it was 99 cents!). The pattern instructions were overly complicated for the dress /tunic. There has been lots of opinions on Instagram and other blogs about this particular pattern that I wish I would have read before I started making this dress. Anyway – Here’s my take on it.
- The instructions are not clear as to where the raw end is supposed to go for the tie. I figured out by looking at the picture that it is sewn into the tucks.
- Try it on before placing your tucks / pleats under the bust.
- Bias tape is the worst. I hate it. I really really hate it. They want you to put bias tape all up in this; on the shoulder seams, and around the neck. If I had read the blogs prior, I would have put a facing in, or skipped their bias tape instructions and Do what I did in the end.
- The arm holes can be gappy if you sew it to where they marked, I went further so they are more normal sized.
- I skipped the pockets (aint nobody got time for that).
- I skipped the french seams (aint nobody got time for that either).
All of that being said, I’m happy with the outcome and will probably make this again. I used Robert Kaufman’s Dot Chambray in burgundy which was very nice to sew with, soft and very comfortable.
Overall this tunic is very flattering providing a nice empire waist and an A-line look.
*I made the Tunic Version in Medium*